Trump halts planned Iran strikes as Gulf leaders push for renewed negotiations

President Donald Trump said the United States canceled planned military strikes against Iran after appeals from Gulf leaders and amid what he described as serious negotiations aimed at ending the conflict.

Donald Trump attends a healthcare affordability event at the White House in Washington, D.C.
Donald Trump attends a healthcare affordability event at the South Court Auditorium of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the White House in Washington, D.C., on May 18, 2026. Photo by Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA/Bloomberg/Getty Images

Donald Trump announced that the United States canceled planned military strikes against Iran that had reportedly been scheduled for Tuesday, saying the decision was made after urgent appeals from Gulf Arab leaders and in light of ongoing negotiations aimed at preventing a broader regional war.

The announcement marked another dramatic turn in a conflict that has destabilized the Middle East, disrupted global energy markets, and heightened fears of direct military confrontation between Washington and Tehran.

Writing on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump said leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and United Arab Emirates personally urged him not to proceed with the planned attack against Iran.

According to Trump, he agreed to halt the operation out of respect for those regional leaders and the diplomatic efforts currently underway behind the scenes.

“Based on my respect for the above mentioned leaders,” Trump wrote, he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth that the United States “will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow.”

Despite suspending the operation, Trump simultaneously warned that the American military remained fully prepared to launch large-scale attacks if negotiations failed.

He said he had ordered U.S. forces to remain ready “to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable deal is not reached.”

Trump also repeated one of the central demands of the American position throughout the conflict, insisting that any final agreement must guarantee that Iran does not obtain nuclear weapons capabilities.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” he wrote.

The latest developments come amid an increasingly fragile ceasefire that has struggled to survive repeated military incidents and mounting political pressure on all sides.

The current conflict escalated dramatically on February 28, when the United States and Israel launched coordinated large-scale attacks against Iranian military and strategic targets.

Iran responded with retaliatory strikes against Israeli territory as well as attacks targeting Gulf Arab states aligned with Washington.

The violence rapidly expanded into one of the most dangerous regional confrontations in decades, drawing in multiple governments and threatening global economic stability.

Although a ceasefire has technically been in place since early April, the agreement has remained highly unstable.

Trump most recently extended the ceasefire unilaterally, though military skirmishes and political tensions have continued to threaten its collapse.

Diplomatic efforts to establish a more permanent resolution have repeatedly stalled, fueling concerns in Washington and international capitals that major combat operations could resume at any moment.

One of the central unresolved issues remains the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically vital shipping route through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas normally passes.

Iran has continued restricting access to the strait following the outbreak of war, creating severe disruption in global energy markets and driving oil prices sharply higher.

Efforts to normalize maritime traffic through the waterway have produced little progress so far, increasing pressure on governments dependent on stable energy supplies.

The instability has also generated wider economic concerns globally, with investors closely monitoring developments in the Gulf for signs of renewed escalation.

Financial markets have experienced repeated volatility in response to reports about ceasefire violations, stalled negotiations, and potential military operations.

Oil prices surged in the weeks after the initial attacks began and remain elevated amid fears that prolonged disruption in the Gulf could create long-term supply shortages.

Inside Washington, frustration has reportedly grown over the lack of diplomatic progress.

According to reports, the Trump administration drafted a detailed 14-point proposal weeks ago outlining terms intended to end the conflict and establish conditions for a broader settlement between the United States and Iran.

Tehran reportedly rejected the framework, contributing to rising tensions and speculation that the White House was preparing additional military action.

Last week, Trump publicly warned that the ceasefire was on “massive life support,” signaling increasing impatience with the pace of negotiations.

On Sunday, he intensified the pressure further by declaring that “the clock is ticking” for Iran.

Those comments fueled expectations among analysts and military observers that the United States could soon resume offensive operations if no diplomatic breakthrough emerged.

The revelation that planned strikes were already scheduled for Tuesday underscores how close the region may have come to another major military escalation.

Trump, however, did not provide specific details about the negotiations he referenced in his social media statement.

It remains unclear which governments or mediators are directly involved in the discussions, what concessions may be under consideration, or whether Iran has shown willingness to compromise on core issues.

The absence of concrete information has left analysts divided over whether the latest diplomatic push represents a serious breakthrough or merely another temporary pause in hostilities.

Regional leaders in the Gulf appear deeply concerned about the possibility of renewed warfare.

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates all maintain complex relationships with Washington while simultaneously seeking to avoid becoming direct targets in a broader regional conflict.

During the earlier phases of the war, Iran launched retaliatory attacks against Gulf states allied with the United States, heightening fears that prolonged fighting could destabilize the entire region.

The Gulf economies are particularly vulnerable to disruptions in energy exports, shipping routes, and investor confidence.

As a result, regional governments have increasingly pushed for diplomatic solutions rather than further military escalation.

Analysts say Trump’s decision to pause the strikes may reflect both geopolitical calculations and domestic political considerations.

The prolonged conflict has become a sensitive issue ahead of upcoming U.S. political battles, particularly as energy prices and economic uncertainty affect American consumers.

The administration has faced competing pressures from hawkish voices demanding tougher action against Iran and others warning against deeper military entanglement in the Middle East.

Trump has consistently attempted to project strength while also portraying himself as a leader capable of securing deals and avoiding prolonged wars.

His latest statement reflected both approaches simultaneously: threatening overwhelming force while emphasizing negotiations and diplomacy.

The broader dispute over Iran’s nuclear ambitions remains at the center of the crisis.

Iran has long insisted that its nuclear program is intended for peaceful civilian purposes, including energy generation and scientific research.

The United States and Israel, however, argue that Tehran’s activities could eventually allow it to develop nuclear weapons capabilities.

That dispute has shaped Middle Eastern geopolitics for decades and repeatedly brought the region close to military confrontation.

Trump has made preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons one of the defining objectives of his foreign policy approach toward Tehran.

The current conflict has therefore become intertwined with larger strategic questions involving regional security, nuclear proliferation, and the balance of power in the Middle East.

Diplomatic observers note that Gulf Arab governments are attempting to position themselves as intermediaries capable of preventing total regional destabilization.

Countries such as Qatar have previously played important mediation roles in negotiations involving Washington, Tehran, and other regional actors.

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, meanwhile, have sought to maintain close security partnerships with the United States while cautiously managing their own regional interests.

Whether those diplomatic efforts can produce a sustainable agreement remains uncertain.

The ceasefire continues to face constant strain, and neither Washington nor Tehran appears willing to significantly soften its core demands publicly.

Military analysts warn that even isolated incidents or miscalculations could quickly reignite large-scale hostilities.

Trump’s decision to halt the strikes may therefore represent only a temporary reprieve rather than a definitive turning point in the conflict.

The coming days are expected to be critical as negotiators attempt to transform the current pause into a more stable framework capable of preventing another eruption of violence.

For now, the Middle East remains in a tense and uncertain state, with diplomacy and military pressure operating simultaneously as regional powers, global markets, and international observers wait to see whether negotiations can succeed where previous efforts have repeatedly failed.

Related

Leave a Reply

Popular