
President Donald Trump said the United States will not rush into a new agreement with Iran, signaling that negotiations over regional security, Iran’s nuclear program, and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz remain ongoing despite signs of progress between the two countries.
In a social media post published Sunday, Trump said Washington preferred to take additional time to ensure that any agreement reached with Tehran would be comprehensive and sustainable.
“Our relationship with Iran is becoming a much more professional and productive one,” Trump wrote. “They must understand, however, that they cannot develop or procure a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb.”
Trump also stated that the US blockade of the Strait of Hormuz would remain in effect until a final agreement is completed. The strategic waterway remains one of the world’s most important shipping lanes for global energy supplies, and its closure has intensified pressure on international oil and gas markets over recent months.
Senior US officials later told reporters that no agreement would be signed on Sunday because both parties were still negotiating the final wording of several major issues, including the immediate reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. According to the officials, the process could take several more days before both governments grant final approval.
The latest developments came after Secretary of State Marco Rubio suggested earlier that there could soon be positive developments regarding access through the Strait of Hormuz as negotiations continued between Washington and Tehran.
Rubio said discussions remained active and that diplomacy was still the preferred route for the Trump administration.
Despite the optimism from Washington, Iranian officials and state-affiliated media appeared more cautious about the prospects for an immediate breakthrough. Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency reported that disagreements remain over “one or two provisions” in the draft framework currently under discussion.
Meanwhile, the Fars news agency dismissed some of Trump’s public comments as “far from reality,” reflecting continued skepticism within parts of Iran’s political establishment.
At the center of the negotiations remains Iran’s nuclear program, a longstanding source of tension between Tehran and Washington.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian reiterated Sunday that Iran was willing to assure the international community that it was not pursuing nuclear weapons.
“We are ready to assure the world during any talks that we are not seeking nuclear weapons,” Pezeshkian said, according to Iran’s Student News Network. He added that Iran was “not seeking unrest in the region.”
US officials involved in the negotiations said Washington plans to lift the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz as part of a broader agreement. They also claimed Iran had agreed in principle to dispose of its highly enriched uranium stockpile, although details regarding implementation and verification remain unresolved.
The officials stressed that the US position remains firm against any Iranian effort to impose toll systems or restrictions on international shipping through the strait.
According to the officials, the current draft does not include plans to immediately unfreeze Iranian assets abroad. Instead, future sanctions relief would depend on Tehran’s compliance with future obligations outlined in the agreement.
The timeline for reducing Iran’s uranium stockpile and any temporary suspension of uranium enrichment activities would be negotiated in later rounds of talks.
Iran, however, has not publicly confirmed these details. Iranian officials have repeatedly stated that Tehran intends to preserve its uranium stockpile and maintain its nuclear infrastructure while insisting that the program remains peaceful.
The ongoing diplomatic push follows weeks of heightened regional conflict involving the United States, Israel, Iran, and Iranian-backed groups across the Middle East.
On Saturday, Trump said an agreement aimed at ending the US-Israeli war involving Iran was nearing completion and suggested the Strait of Hormuz could soon reopen. However, his comments immediately triggered backlash from some Republican allies who oppose easing military pressure on Tehran.
Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Roger Wicker criticized the prospect of a ceasefire or broader agreement with Iran, warning that such a move could undermine recent US military operations.
Before Trump’s latest remarks, Wicker wrote on social media that a renewed ceasefire “would be a disaster” and argued that military gains achieved during “Operation Epic Fury” should not be abandoned prematurely.
Reports surrounding the proposed agreement suggest it could involve a temporary 60-day extension of the current ceasefire. During that period, the Strait of Hormuz would reopen and Iran would once again be permitted to export oil to international markets.
Additional negotiations would then continue regarding Tehran’s nuclear program and broader regional security arrangements.
According to a report by Axios, the draft framework may also include provisions related to the parallel conflict between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon. Under the reported proposal, hostilities between Israel and the Iranian-backed armed group could also come to an end.
However, Israeli officials have signaled caution over any arrangement that could limit Israel’s military flexibility in the region.
An Israeli official said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with Trump late Saturday and emphasized that Israel must maintain freedom of action against threats across all fronts, including Lebanon.
The official added that Trump reiterated his support for Israel’s right to respond to security threats.
The emerging negotiations have also revived comparisons to the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement reached during former President Barack Obama’s administration.
Several Republican lawmakers argued that the proposed framework resembled the earlier deal, which Trump withdrew from during his first term in office.
Trump rejected those comparisons on Sunday, arguing that the new negotiations are fundamentally different from the Obama-era agreement.
“It was a direct path to Iran developing a Nuclear Weapon,” Trump wrote about the 2015 accord. “Not so with the transaction currently being negotiated with Iran by the Trump Administration — THE EXACT OPPOSITE, in fact!”
The situation surrounding the Strait of Hormuz remains a major concern for the global economy. Since fighting escalated earlier this year, shipping traffic through the waterway has been heavily disrupted, contributing to higher energy prices and renewed fears over global supply chains.
The strait handles a significant share of the world’s oil exports, particularly shipments from Gulf countries including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Iraq.
The uncertainty has also complicated relations between the United States and key regional allies. Several Gulf states have privately encouraged Washington to continue negotiations and avoid a prolonged regional conflict that could further destabilize energy markets.
At the same time, the Trump administration faces increasing domestic political pressure ahead of the US midterm elections. Rising gasoline prices and broader economic concerns have fueled calls from some voters for a diplomatic resolution to the conflict.
Still, Trump must also balance demands from conservative allies who favor maintaining a hardline position against Iran.
For now, officials on both sides indicate that negotiations are continuing, though substantial disagreements remain unresolved. The pace and outcome of the talks are expected to shape not only US-Iran relations but also the broader security and economic landscape across the Middle East in the months ahead.